The Change Making Media Lab (CMML) mission is to foster positive social and environmental change by promoting research on effective media techniques and creating strategic high-impact cinema, television, and multi-media visual imagery to inspire individuals, organizations, and communities into action. CMML’s vision is to engage community members to leverage the power of the cinematic arts to achieve their goals including areas of health, sustainability, and social justice. In pursuit of this vision, CMML:
- Produces cinematic pieces that reflect the newest concepts of behavior motivation and how to effect individual, community, and policy change
- Supports cutting-edge research focused on the multi-dimensional components of the cinematic arts and their effects on human behavior
- Utilizes targeted research to inform, promote, and increase the production of socially transformative media
- Builds the capacity of public and private entities to affect positive social change by providing them with the information, skills, tools, and technical assistance resources to create their own socially transformative visual media
- Conducts post distribution effectiveness assessments through innovative evaluation techniques
- Enhances the professional development of new social change media makers through holistic multi-disciplinary coursework that integrates research and applied practice
CMML brings together a wide range of multidisciplinary stakeholders from across the nation to achieve these stated goals. CMML is strategically housed within the University of Southern California (USC) School of Cinematic Arts, one of the premiere film schools in the country.